GP Rating- Duties, Colleges, Fees, Promotions, etc.
Last updated on July 20th, 2022 at 05:17 am
GP Rating after class 10th? Have you completed your tenth grade? Do you wish to pursue a merchant navy course after 10th grade? If so, this post will be helpful to you.
Table of contents
- What is the Merchant Navy GP Rating Course?
- GP Rating Course Basics
- What is the Role of a GP Rating on a Ship?
- Qualification for GP Rating Courses
- Fees For Course
- Syllabus Taught at the Institution Under GP Rating Course
- Compulsory Courses During Training
- Promotions After Finishing the GP Rating Course
- What is the Average GP Rating Salary?
- Can You Become a Deck Officer / Captain from GP Rating?
- GP Rating Placement
- Here is the List of Colleges for GP Rating in India
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About GP Rating Course Qualification
What is the Merchant Navy GP Rating Course?
After clearing the Senior Secondary / 10th Grade examinations, the GP Rating Training, also known as General Purpose Rating, is a beginner course for joining the merchant navy.
Students who wish to follow an interesting and daring profession may consider taking this course. Jobs obtained after finishing the GP Rating course are also financially beneficial. In this post, we will look at the General-Purpose Rating course in depth, including general course information, scope, employment options after finishing the programme, income information, eligibility requirements, and medical standards.
GP Rating Course Basics
The programme lasts for six months. This is a Pre-Sea Training course (What is Pre-Sea? Pre-sea training is a course that we take before sailing on a ship.)
The GP Rating program will prepare cadets for two major positions in the maritime industry: deck crew and engine crew.
Individual courses are provided for the Deck and Engine Rating programmes. However, GP Rating combines the two and educates the candidate for both Deck and Engine Rating components.
Cadets will be provided information and abilities connected to subjects such as ship mechanics, swimming, fire prevention and safety technology, first aid, fundamentals of sea, and so on as a part of the training.
This course is conducted twice a year, with classes beginning in January and July of each year.
Read here for information on Top GP Rating Colleges in India.
What is the Role of a GP Rating on a Ship?
The job profile will change depending on whether you join Deck or Engine.
Engine department – General Engine Room Maintenance, Support in Engine Room Maintenance
- You work on watch with a duty engineer (4+4 hours per day) or in a new unmanned ship during the day.
- You need to keep your environment clean and check the oil level and parameters of the machines.
- Assist the engineer in cleaning the engine parts and engine room.
Deck department – Ship Servicing, Support with Navigation and Cargo Operation
- You should keep your deck in good condition by removing rust and painting it afterwards.
- Obey instructions from the master, ship officers, and the Bosun.
Qualification for GP Rating Courses
When it comes to qualifying requirements, they look at three primary areas during admission: academic qualifications, medical/physical standards, and the candidate’s age.
|Qualifications in Academics||Medical/Physical Standards||Age regulations|
|For individuals who have passed their tenth class||A minimum of 40% from a recognised board is required in English, Science, and Mathematics in the 10th or 12th grades.||As per Merchant Shipping guidelines, candidates must be physically and medically fit. They must be capable of seafaring. Both eyes must have a vision of 6/6. (Unaided vision). Furthermore, the candidate should not be colorblind.||It must be between the ages of 17.5 to 25.|
|For individuals who want to do pre sea GP rating course for Fitters/Welders||Pass a two-year Industrial Training Institutes course certified by DVET (Department of Vocational Education and Training) / NCVT (National Council of Vocational Training) as a Fitter / Machinist / Mechanic / Welder / Turner with a least 40 percent total mark in the final year of ITI and a minimum 40 percent in English in 10th / 12th.||Candidate must be physically and medically fit. Both eyes must have a vision of 6/6. (Unaided vision)||Between the ages of 17.5 and 25|
If the candidate meets the requirements, he or she will be required to take a common entrance test (CET), from which they will be able to select their desired college based on their rank.
For some universities, Candidates who meet the requirements will be invited to an online interview and will be required to take an online test.
After the test the selected candidates will undergo a medical examination with a D.G Shipping approved doctor.
Fees For Course
The course costs for the Pre-Sea Course for GP Rating are Rs. 1,20,000 – 5,00,000, which must be paid in one or more instalments according to institute regulations. The top three Colleges which are recommended by Merchant Navy Decoded are TS Rahaman, NUSI Goa and Great Eastern Institute of Management Studies. The fees of these colleges is covered in a separate blog , GP Rating Colleges.
The disadvantage of this course is that EDUCATION LOAN is not a possibility as it is not a Degree Course, and many students are unable to join Merchant Navy because of lack of money.
Syllabus Taught at the Institution Under GP Rating Course
- A good understanding of the ship’s routine, functioning, laws, and responsibilities.
- A basic background in the concepts of safety, accident prevention, marine pollution, firefighting, and first aid.
- An understanding of the theory and practice of a ship’s compass, as well as advice on steering.
- Basic engineering knowledge, maintenance, and safe working methods are taught.
- Knowledge of tools, equipment, and instruments usually found on ships
- Hands-on experience with ropes, blocks, tackles, and rigging.
- Hands-on experience operating a lifeboat and starting its diesel engine.
- On-the-job training in Carpentry, Plumbing, Machine Shop, Electrical, and Diesel Maintenance Shop.
Compulsory Courses During Training
- Personal Survival Techniques, (PST)
- Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting, (FPFF)
- Proficiency in Elementary First Aid, (EFA)
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities. (PSSR)
- Oil Tanker Familiarization (OTFC)
- Security Training for Seafarers with designated security duties
- PT, parades, and sports are all required for physical fitness because fitness is one of the key to smooth voyage.
Promotions After Finishing the GP Rating Course
You will begin as a Trainee OS on the deck, and as you gain experience, you will advance to OS (Ordinary Seamen), AB (Able Seamen), Bosun, or Pumpman, and if you want, you can also become an Officer.
The same is true for an Engine Trainee Wiper in the engine room, who will slowly become an experienced Wiper followed by Motorman. A motorman or a Fitter can become an Engineer officer on Ship as well, the process is hard but it is not impossible. The candidate must have an ITI (Industrial Training Institute) certificate to work as a Fitter or Pumpman. For more information, visit the GEIMS blog.
What is the Average GP Rating Salary?
Salary is decided by the Company where you will be working and might vary from $200 to $350 in the beginning, increasing with time and experience.
For example, a particular firm will provide $200 as a trainee ,900$ for OS and $1500 as an AB and after that clear the exam to become an Officer. The wages listed here are from the best companies. An AB’s salary can start as low as $300. Do not fall victim to scams or fake recruitments, and instead work hard to get into the best companies for a secure future. Because there have been cases where, people have been cheated by agents, they have lost money and have sometimes been stuck on ship without even salary.
In any decent firm, you will perform at least two or three contracts as a trainee and then another 2-3 contracts as an OS before becoming an AB.
Can You Become a Deck Officer / Captain from GP Rating?
Once the GP rating training is finished, the rating can join a ship as a deck or engine rating and work in the deck/engine department under the supervision of senior staff onboard ships.
After completing the needed sea time, they can sit for the 2nd mate exam or the fourth engineer exam and after clearing will be promoted to Officer. The salary mentioned in the above blog is just a reference.
GP Rating Placement
Candidates are warned not to fall victim to agents who promise to give a 100 percent work guarantee; instead, candidates should contact registered shipping firms or DG shipping approved universities for placements.
Most importantly, best way is to join a good GP Rating college and try to get placed from college itself and safeguard oneself from the clutches of Agents.
Here is the List of Colleges for GP Rating in India
For the GP Rating Course, Merchant Navy Decoded only approves of these three colleges-
• T S Rahaman (Mumbai)
• Great Eastern Institute of Maritime Studies (GEIMS)
• National Union of Seafarers of India (NUSI) Goa
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About GP Rating Course Qualification
A) 1. Written Exam (English, Science, and Math).
2. Physical Endurance Examination.
3. Oral Exam (English reading and simple conversation).
A) The Common Entrance Test will be conducted only in English.
A) No, a Medical Fitness Certificate is not necessary for CET, however it is required for admission in a training institute.
A) You can obtain a medical certificate from a DGS-approved doctor or follow the institute’s instructions.