Marine Engineering Courses
Last updated on August 23rd, 2023 at 11:41 am
Marine engineering courses are designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills required to design, build, operate, and maintain marine vessels and structures. Here are some of the popular marine engineering courses that you can pursue:
- Bachelor of Engineering and Bachelor of Technology in Marine Engineering: This is a 4-year undergraduate degree program that focuses on the fundamentals of marine engineering, ship design, marine propulsion systems, and marine operations.
- Master of Engineering and Master of Technology in Marine Engineering: This is a 2-year postgraduate degree program that provides students with advanced knowledge and skills in marine engineering, ship design, and marine systems.
- Diploma in Marine Engineering: This is a 1-year or 2-year diploma program that provides students with the basic knowledge and skills required for entry-level jobs in the marine engineering industry.
- Certificate in Marine Engineering: This is a short-term course that provides students with specialized knowledge and skills in areas such as marine propulsion systems, marine structures, and marine electrical systems.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Marine Engineering: This is a 1-year diploma program that provides students with advanced knowledge and skills in marine engineering, marine operations, and marine systems.
- Marine Engineering Technology: This is a 2-year associate degree program that provides students with a comprehensive understanding of marine engineering principles, as well as hands-on experience in marine engineering technology.
- Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering: This is a 4-year undergraduate degree program that focuses on the design, construction, and operation of marine vessels and structures.
Marine Engineers are licensed officers who are in charge of the engine room of a ship. It is a job that requires immense technical knowledge and troubleshooting skills. It is not easy to handle the entire machinery that runs a ship. There are three marine engineering courses available in our country to become a marine engineer. You can pursue Btech in marine engineering directly after completing your class 12th with PCM. In case you couldn’t pursue Btech marine engineering after class 12th then you can pursue Graduate Marine Engineering after completing Btech in mechanical engineering. The third way of becoming a marine engineer is by completing a Diploma in mechanical engineering and then pursuing a Diploma in marine engineering.
1. Btech in Marine Engineering Course
Btech Marine Engineering is a 4-year degree course in the stream of Engineering which prepares its students for a career in the Merchant Navy. A bachelor’s degree in Btech Marine Engineering acts as an entry point for interested students to join the merchant navy through the engine side. The syllabus includes subjects like- Applied Thermodynamics, Ship Structure & Construction, Naval Architecture, Fluids Mechanics, Marine Heat Engine & Air Conditioning, etc.
- Eligibility Criterion for B.Tech Marine Engineering
|Age Limit||Minimum age:- 17 years|
1) For Males:- General-25 years, OBC (NCL) – 28 years, SC/ST-30 years.
2) For Females:- General-27 years, OBC (NCL) – 30 years, SC/ST-32 years
The reference date for the calculation of the age will be from the date of commencement of the Academic Session.
|Education Qualification:-||Minimum 60% aggregate marks in 10+2 with PCM.|
Minimum of 50% marks in English subject in the 10th [OR] 12th Examination.
|Lateral Entry Scheme:-||Candidates with 60% marks in a 3-year Diploma in Mechanical Engineering from any Institute approved by AICTE.|
Minimum of 50% marks in English subject in 10th [OR] in the degree course.
|Physical/Medical Standard:-||Physically fit and should meet the medical requirements as specified Director General of Shipping, eyesight 6/12 in each eye without visual aids, and no color blindness.|
- Btech in Marine Engineering Entrance Exams
Most Bachelor of Engineering course admission in the field of Marine Engineering happens through entrance exams. We would recommend marine engineer aspirants get admitted to either MERI Calcutta or TMI and we have listed the entrance exams for these two colleges.
Entrance exams for this course are: –
- IMU-CET – Indian Maritime University Common Entrance Test is the exam taken up across India to pursue a career in the Maritime field. The IMUCET rank is accepted for admission in most IMU campuses and other private institutes. MERI Calcutta has the highest median IMUCET rank thus, only the highest-ranking candidates are selected for admission into MERI.
- TMI SAT – Tolani Maritime Institute Science Aptitude Test is the entrance exam for getting admission in TMI. The test includes 80 questions from Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Analytical and logical reasoning from 10+2 level. There is another exam that evaluates the candidate’s behavior. Additionally, TMI aspirants need to clear IMUCET before getting admitted to the college.
2. Graduate Marine Engineering Course
Graduate Marine Engineering is a one-year PG diploma course offered by 20 colleges in India. It consists of 2 semesters. It gives an opportunity for those who have completed their Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical engineering or Naval Architecture to pursue their career in marine engineering.
- Graduate Marine Engineering Eligibility
|Age Limit||Maximum age should not exceed 28 years on the date of commencement of the course.|
|Education Qualification:-||A full-time BE / B. Tech in all Mechanical Engineering streams e.g. Mechanical and Automation, Mechanical and Electronics, Mechanical and Automobile, etc. However, should be first indicating that mechanical and the second subject is elective.|
An Naval Architecture stream e.g. Naval Architecture and Ocean. Engineering, Naval Architecture, Shipbuilding, etc.
BE / B.Tech in Marine Engineering from an institute which is Non-Directorate General Shipping of India.
BE /B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering from a UGC-recognized University and approved by AICTE
With a minimum of 50% marks in the final year.
|English||Should not have obtained less than 50% marks in English as a separate subject, at either 10th or 12th standard, [OR] in the Degree course conducted by a Recognised Board / University.|
|Physical/Medical Standard:-||Physically fit and should meet the medical requirements as specified by DGS guidelines, eyesight 6/12 in each eye without visual aids, and no color blindness.|
- Graduate Marine Engineering Entrance Exams
Graduate Marine Engineering doesn’t have any entrance exams like IMU-CET. However, candidates have to appear for the sponsorship exams of shipping companies in order to get a confirmed placement by a shipping company.
3. Diploma in Marine Engineering Course
The Diploma in Marine Engineering (DME) is a two-year, all-residential pre-sea training program that prepares students in Marine Engineering for National and International Merchant Ships. The course focuses on the technical elements of Marine Engineering and covers the majority of critical topics such as safety technology, marine machinery, naval architecture, ship design, automation and control, shipbuilding, communication skills, and marine electrical and electronic systems.
- Diploma in Marine Engineering Eligibility
|1. Nationality:||The Candidate must be of Indian Nationality.|
|2. Educational Qualifications & Age Limit:||The candidate must possess a Diploma in either Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics, or Naval Architecture. He/She should not exceed a maximum of 28 years.|
|3. Minimum Marks:||He/She must possess a minimum of 50% in the final year.|
|4. Minimum Marks in English:||He/She must possess a minimum of 50% marks in English in either of 10th, 12th, Diploma or Degree.|
|5. Physical Requirements:||6/6 or 6/12 in each eye, or 6/18 in one eye and 6/9 in the other eye without glasses, with no color blindness detected by the Ishihara Chart. Even, Partial Color Blindness is not accepted.|
|6. Body Mass Index:||Should be <<25.|
|7. Minimum Height and Weight Requirements:||Height: 1.58m, Weight: 51kg|
|8. No. of Seats offered:||40|
We hope that after reading this blog you now have a better understanding of the different courses through which you can become a marine engineer. So, do thorough research about the course that you want to pursue and give your best shot to get into the best college and get placed in a top-notch shipping company.