IMUCET: Eligibility? Colleges? Common Mistakes?
Last updated on March 27th, 2023 at 06:29 am
This blog gives you all the information about IMUCET, starting from the colleges you will be getting admission into, to the medical requirements that you would have to fulfil in the medical test.
- What is IMU CET
- Eligibility criteria
- IMU CET exam pattern
- IMU CET syllabus
- Topics to concentrate more on
- Books to refer
- Common mistakes by students
- Application form
Now let’s start with, What is IMUCET ?
IMU CET known as (Indian Maritime University Common Entrance Test) is a standard admission test conducted by Indian Maritime University for students to be admitted to Undergraduate (excluding BBA), Post Graduate and research programs. Candidates get to participate in the counselling process and get the opportunity to study at the IMU campuses and its affiliated colleges.
The IMUCET exam is held 2 times a year. The exam held in December is only for sponsors and is currently for the DNS course only. While the one held in May/June is for B.Tech Marine Engineering, B.Sc Nautical Science, and DNS. The number of applicants for December is much lower than in May/June. Another thing about the exam in December is that a few colleges don’t participate in the counseling,who did in May/June. So, you should be careful whether to limit your options or not. The centers for the December exam are also fewer compared to the one in June.
Eligibility criteria for IMUCET:
Eligibility criteria for IMUCET have been set in such a way that most of the students get the opportunity to give the exam. The eligibility criteria is almost the same for all UG courses so that the students have a vast area of opportunities to pursue. Now let’s learn a bit more about the courses offered and what you will be doing if you pursue them.
For B. Tech and B.Sc (Nautical Science):
B.Tech Marine Engineering introduces students to basic concepts of marine propulsion, fluid dynamics, and ship design. After graduating as a marine engineer, one can grab a job on a ship as a third assistant engineer or fourth engineer. They can get employed in different foreign and Indian shipping companies.
As for B.Sc., job openings are available in both the private and the public sectors for fresh graduates. In India, it presents students with an opportunity to learn about marine life, crew management, voyage planning, and exploration. For more information on B.sc Nautical science you can check out our blog on the same.
Now when it comes to the eligibility criteria for taking up these courses:
Eligibility: The candidate must have passed his or her 10 + 2 level or equivalent tests from a known board.
Qualifications: Candidates must have completed their 10 + 2 level examinations in Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry and English.
Eligible marks: A person who will be enrolled in his / her 10 + 2 level exams must have passed with a minimum aggregate of 60% marks in PCM and a minimum of 50% in English. For ST / SC, 5% relaxation on eligible marks (No relaxation in English).
List of courses offered:
- BTech in Marine engineering
- BTech in Naval architecture & Ocean Engineering
- BSc in Nautical science
- BBA in Logistics, retailing and E-Commerce
- BSc in Ship building & Repair
- Diploma in Nautical Science (1 year)
- MTech in Marine Engineering & Management
- MTech in Naval architecture & Ocean Engineering
- MTech in Dredging and Harbour Engineering
- MBA in Port & Shipping management
- MBA in International transportation & Logistics Management
- MSc in commercial Shipping & Logistics
- Post Graduate diploma in Marine Engineering (PGDME)
- PhD and MS (By Research)
Conditions to apply for IMUCET:
Age: Application for a minimum candidate age must be 17 years and the maximum age must be 25 years.
ST / SC candidates have a 5% break in seniority.
Eye Vision – In these Marine programs, candidates are required to ensure that they meet the following criteria:
- There will be no evidence of any adverse condition of any eye or of the lids of any eye which may be at risk of incontinence or recurrence.
- You should have a good binocular vision
- The movement of the eyeballs should be full on all sides and students should respond normally to light and dark environment.
Good eye conditions are needed to qualify.
Diploma in Nautical Science, and B.Sc. (Nautical Science) programs: Assisted Distance Vision 1.0 (6/6) with a better eye and 0.67 (6/9) with the other eye
B. Tech (Marine Engineering) program: Distance Vision not helped 0.5 (6/12) in each eye or 0.67 (6/9) in the better eye and 0.33 * (6/18) in the other eye.
All these people who qualify for the entry test are required to submit a Physical Fitness Certificate from a Registered Physician at the time of Certification Verification.
As you need to first qualify the exam to get your medical check examination done.
Now let’s see how the exam pattern of IMUCET is like-
Test Pattern of IMUCET:
According to the test pattern, IMU CET 2022 consists of 6 sections with 200 MCQ type questions for a total of 200 marks.
• The Physics and Mathematics course consists of 50 questions in each subject. Chemistry, English, General Knowledge and Aptitude cover 25 questions each. All the questions in these segments are to be answered in 3 hours or 180 minutes.
• Each question will contain 4 options. One mark will be awarded for each correct answer and there will be no negative marking for any incorrect answer. But there are chances of the pattern having negative marking therefore, it would be better if you prepare with keeping this aspect in mind.
• IMUCET 2022 will be conducted in English
IMUCET 2022 Syllabus:
Just like the eligibility criteria of the exam, the consists of subjects which the students are quite familiar with and would be easy to go through. But you can’t say that the exam would be easy to attempt, you might have to study hard for it. The IMU CET 2022 test syllabus will be similar to the prescribed syllabus for Class XI and Class XII for Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, GK, English, and the ability of CBSE / ISE / State Boards. Students may refer to the prescribed syllabus for Class XI and XII or refer to the textbooks for other national entrance examinations such as JEE Main, JEE Advanced and BITSAT etc. For General Information and Eligibility section candidates can follow letters such as Lucent General Knowledge and RS Aggarwal Quantitative Aptitude respectively.
Let’s have some insights about each subject of the exam-
- English– It holds an advantage for the students as it’s an easy scoring subject, yet in English there are a few sections you should actually concentrate on. These would be – Errors, Parts of speech , Synonyms and Antonyms , Idioms and Phrases and you should attempt a few questions on passages as well. To cover these topics, it would be beneficial if you can get your hands on any competition based English book.
- Aptitude- Even aptitude section of the exam can be really scoring when you have practiced logical questions – Directions, Distance and Percentage questions which include simple interests. You can even find questions based on relations and age. To cover these, it’s not necessary to buy anything because most of the study materials and online tests can be found and practised online.
Now looking at the core subjects-
- Maths- Mathematics is that portion of the exam which you should really try to attempt the most, not only because it has more questions but also because it can be scoring if prepared efficiently.
- Physics- After maths, Physics is the subject which you should really lookout for because it can be really tough at times, so you should be prepared for it.
- Chemistry- Compared to the other core subjects can be easy because in Chemistry the questions asked can be really basic therefore, it can be very scoring.
This is the tabular form to make it easy for you:
|Subjects||Topics||Books to refer|
|Mathematics||Matrix and determinants|
2D and 3D geometry
Differentiation and integration
Limits and continuity
Flight and distance
|NCERT is the most suggestible but if you want to prepare more Pathfinder from Arihant can be a good option. Join Telegram group IMUCET DECODED for getting questions on daily basis to practice and also guidance under Chief Engineer Praneet Mehta.|
Work power energy
Law of motion
Problems on time period
Units and dimensions
|NCERT textbooks cover these topics in the best way so they are recommended the most. Join Telegram group IMUCET DECODED for getting questions on daily basis to practice and also guidance under Chief Engineer Praneet Mehta.|
|Chemistry||Organic chemistry – Polymers, Bio molecules (Other topics too but start with these) |
|NCERT is more than enough. Join Telegram group IMUCET DECODED for getting questions on daily basis to practice and also guidance under Chief Engineer Praneet Mehta.|
Parts of speech,
Synonyms and Antonyms,
Idioms and phrases, and
|Wren and Martin. Join Telegram group IMUCET DECODED for getting questions on daily basis to practice and also guidance under Chief Engineer Praneet Mehta.|
|Aptitude||Logical questions – Directions, Distance |
Percentage – simple interest
Relations and age
|Online materials are available which are more than enough. Join Telegram group IMUCET DECODED for getting questions on daily basis to practice and also guidance under Chief Engineer Praneet Mehta.|
|General knowledge||General awareness|
|Weekly magazines and newspapers to cover daily news And any static GK Book. Join Telegram group IMUCET DECODED for getting questions on daily basis to practice and also guidance under Chief Engineer Praneet Mehta.|
Mistakes Made by Students while Preparing or During Exam
You might be preparing for the exam or are planning to start your preparation after reading this blog, so either ways let’s just give you a heads-up on the common mistakes made by students in the IMUCET exam so that you don’t make them.
Now, you might have asked your friends or read online answers whether the exam is going to be easy or hard. Therefore, let’s already make it clear that no exam is easy if you restrict your preparation just because someone told you so.
IMUCET is all about speed, so it would cost you your score if you stick to a single question for a very long time. While preparing it would be useful if you concentrate on Aptitude and English cause these two segments can be really scoring. When it comes to the core subjects give more time to Maths and Physics, not only because they have more questions but also because they can be scored well if you are thorough with your formulas.
Take time to read the questions and not hurry too much because you might miss out on some easy logical questions and choose the wrong answer. If you are wondering what books to read for preparation, we suggest being thorough with the NCERT textbooks for covering your subjects. In case you need some extra material, you could go for ‘NDA Pathfinder’ and study materials from ‘The Arihant Publications’. There are a lot of books available in the market for IMUCET preparation with previous year questions mentioned, sadly none of these books are worth buying. Please work on basic concepts first , build a foundation and then go for speed.
In order to give the exam, it is essential to fill the application form.
IMU CET 2021 Application Form
IMU CET 2021 application form was released online mode. An applicant was allowed to apply online application form 29 July 2021. The deadline for basic online registration and detailed submission of the application was 21 August 2021.
With the application fee, General / OBC – NCL candidates had to pay Rs.1000. For ST / SC candidates Rs.700. Candidates were to pay an online application fee by debit/credit card / net banking. The fee amount can vary in future examination applications.
IMU CET Eligibility Criteria should be assessed by the applicants, before applying for an entry test. The eligibility process can be viewed by students in the information manual through the official website.
Finally, this covers all that you need to know about the IMUCET exam. ALL THE BEST for it !!
If you want to know about IMUCET and how to join the Merchant navy, you can contact.
|Contact no:||+919051206790, +917417085906|
|JMDi Academy’s Result||https://jmdiacademy.com/2022-result/|
|IMUCET Decoded Telegram Group||https://t.me/imucetdecoded|