IMU CET | What is IMU CET? | Eligibility, Syllabus and Pattern
Last updated on May 31st, 2023 at 05:27 am
Indian Maritime University Common Entrance Test, also known as IMU CET, is a competitive exam conducted by the Indian Maritime University for admission into various undergraduate and postgraduate courses in the field of maritime studies. IMU CET is the gateway for students who wish to pursue a career in the merchant navy. In this blog, we will discuss the importance of IMU CET, its eligibility criteria, the Syllabus and the various courses offered by the Indian Maritime University.
Why IMU and when it was formed?
The Indian Maritime University (IMU) was established on 14 November 2008 under the Ministry of Shipping, Government of India. Within 8 years as a university, IMU has become one of the country’s most prestigious institutes for Maritime Education. It promotes maritime studies, training, research and extension work. The university offers various courses such as BSc in Nautical Science, Diploma in Nautical Science (DNS), B.Tech Marine Engineering, MBA, PGDM, and BBA. The headquarters of IMU is located in Chennai, which is often referred to as IMU Chennai.
IMU was formed to bring together all the maritime colleges approved by DG Shipping and to have a uniform entrance test for all the students. Prior to the establishment of IMU, different colleges like MERI Kolkata, TS Chanakya, Tolani Maritime Institute, and IMI Noida had their own selection procedure and exam pattern. IMU conducts the Common Entrance Test (IMU CET) for students who wish to join the merchant navy as an officer.
What is IMU CET?
Indian Maritime University offers plenty of courses like MBA, PGDM, BBA, BSC in Nautical Science, Diploma in Nautical Science, and Btech Marine Engineering. To get admission to these courses, every student who wants to enter the Merchant Navy has to give the Indian Maritime University Common Entrance Test (IMU CET). This national-level entrance exam is mandatory for those who are opting for DNS, BSC Nautical Science, or Btech Marine Engineering. However, this test is not conducted for GP rating, GME, or ETO courses.
Merchant Navy has gained popularity over the years, but getting into it requires hard work and proper guidance. IMU CET is a crucial step towards achieving this dream. It tests the student’s knowledge and aptitude in subjects like Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, English, and General Knowledge.
Courses offered by IMU CET
Diploma in Nautical Science (DNS)
DNS is a one-year course that prepares students for a career in the deck department of merchant navy ships. Upon completion of the course, students are required to sail for 18 months and then appear for the 2nd mates exam to obtain a BSc degree. DNS students must secure sponsorship from a shipping company before enrolling in the course.
BSc in Nautical Science
This is a three-year course that focuses on the technical and operational aspects of the maritime industry. Upon completion of the course, students must sail as deck cadets for 12 months and then appear for the 2nd mates exam to become 3rd officers. Placement after completing the course is based on the student’s academic performance and placement interviews.
B.Tech in Marine Engineering
This is a four-year program that prepares students to become marine engineers. The course covers subjects like marine propulsion, ship construction, and marine electrical systems. Students must secure admission to one of the recommended colleges and complete their coursework to become eligible for placement as marine engineers. There are so many colleges in India for Btech marine engineering but we suggest only 5 colleges for that which are MERI Kolkata, TMI Pune, IMI with MSc Sponsorship, AMET with Maersk sponsorship and MERI Mumbai.
- Candidates must have Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English in Class 11th and 12th.
- Candidates must have scored at least 60 percent aggregate in PCM
- Candidate must have scored 50 percent in English in either Class 10th or 12th.
- For SC/ST candidates, 5% relaxation in eligibility marks ( No relaxation for English subject.)
- Applying candidate’s minimum age should be 17 years and the maximum be 25 years on the day the course is supposed to begin in the respective year( generally by August every year)
- SC/ST candidates have a 5 years relaxation in the maximum age
When is IMCUT Exam conducted?
- IMU CET Exam is held twice a year, in June and December.
- The competition is high in the June exam as it is conducted for DNS, BSc, and BTech Marine Engineering. Seats for BSc and BTech open only once a year, which is in the June exam.
- For DNS, IMU CET is conducted twice a year, in June and December.
- The number of applicants for the December exam is less compared to the June exam.
- The seats available in December are also less compared to the June exam, and the number of candidates appearing for the exam is also less.
Syllabus for IMU CET
To crack the IMU CET exam, it’s important to have a clear understanding of the syllabus and prepare accordingly.
- Physics, Chemistry and Math – The physics, chemistry and math section of the IMU CET exam is based on the 11th and 12th NCERT physics syllabus. Candidates should focus on understanding the basic concepts and mastering the numerical problems. NCERT textbooks are a great resource for preparation.
- English – The English section of the IMU CET exam covers various aspects of the language, including vocabulary, comprehension, and grammar. To prepare for this section, you can refer to the NDA question papers from previous years. Some of the topics that are usually covered in this section include Antonyms, Synonyms, Comprehension passages, Sentence correction, and Jumbled sentences.
- Current Affairs and GK – The General Knowledge section covers both static and current affairs. Static GK includes topics such as Indian History, Geography, and Politics. Current Affairs, on the other hand, covers the latest news and events from around the world. To prepare for this section, you can read newspapers and magazines regularly and stay updated with the latest events.
- Aptitude – The Aptitude section is divided into two parts: General Aptitude and Reasoning. General Aptitude covers topics such as Speed, Distance and Time, Time and Work, Profit and Loss, Simple Interest, Compound Interest, Ratio and Proportion, and more. Reasoning covers topics such as Mechanical Reasoning, Coding-Decoding, Clocks and Calendars, and more
The pattern of IMU CET
Exam centres conduct the IMU CET exam online on a computer screen. The exam consists of 200 multiple-choice questions (MCQs) with a total time of 3 hours or 180 minutes. The questions are divided into five sections, and each section carries a specific weightage. The section-wise distribution of questions is as follows:
Physics – 50 questions
Mathematics – 50 questions
Chemistry – 20 questions
English – 40 questions
General Aptitude, General Awareness, and Static GK – 40 questions
The difficulty level of the exam is moderate. IMU introduced negative markings from the last exam, so it is crucial to attempt the questions with caution.
How to Apply for IMU CET
Step 1 IMU CET Registration
Visit the official website of IMU CET imu.edu.in
Find the ‘IMU CET Registration link’ and click on it.
Candidates will need to provide basic details such as their full name, contact number, and email ID
Candidates will also need to create a password.
Step 2 Filling-in details in IMU CET 2023 Application Form
After successful registration, candidates will have to fill in further personal and academic details
They will also have to provide their complete contact information
Step 3 Uploading Scanned Images
The next step will require candidates to upload certain scanned documents as provided below
Candidate’s photograph, Scanned signature, Class 10 certificate, Class 12 certificate, Category Certificate, Application Fees
IMU CET Application Fees
Candidates filling out the IMU CET application form will have to pay the respective application fee depending upon the category they belong to as shown in the table below:
|General and OBC||1000 rupees|
|Scheduled Caste||700 rupees|
|Scheduled Tribe||700 rupees|
After filling in all the information and paying the application fee, candidates are advised to verify the information so provided. Thereafter, they will have to finally submit the IMU CET application form 2023. After submission, candidates will have to download the confirmed IMU CET 2023 application form and save it for future reference.
If you want to know about IMUCET and how to join the Merchant navy, you can contact.
|Contact no:||+919051206790, +917417085906|
|JMDi Academy’s Result||https://jmdiacademy.com/2022-result/|
Join our IMUCET Decoded Telegram Group for regular updates regarding IMUCET – Click here to Join