Diploma in Marine Engineering at IMS Goa
Last updated on March 10th, 2023 at 11:41 am
We at Merchant Navy Decoded only suggest one college for Diploma in Marine Engineering (DME) i.e. IMS Goa. Do go through the whole blog to read about the placement scenario at IMS Goa.
Diploma in Marine Engineering
A diploma in marine engineering (DME) is a pre-sea training course for diploma holders. Most people have a doubt, whether they will get a degree or not, the answer is NO. This is just one of the ways to enter into the field of the merchant navy.
For a Diploma Engineer who has completed his/her diploma in either Mechanical, Marine, Electrical or Electronics Stream, Institute of Maritime Studies (IMS) Goa provides training to become a Marine Engineer Officer. After completion of this course, a DME student joins ship as a Trainee Engineer. A Diploma Engineer is at par with a Degree Engineer in the Maritime Field.
Diploma in Marine Engineering at IMS Goa
IMS Goa takes pride in itself for producing the best trained junior engineers. Realizing that they can’t provide all the facilities at a single-training center they have have tied-up with various centers to provide it’s students an all-round training. Under the workshop training, students are sent to work-centers including – Goa Shipyard Ltd., Chowgule Shipyard, Institute of Shipbuilding Technology’s workshop & laboratories etc. The placement scenario of the college speaks for itself. The college has maintained good relations with companies which frequently visit the campus for placements.
IMS Goa has an excellent two-year pre-sea training course in marine engineering for diploma engineers.
Facilities at IMS Goa
The marine engineering course for diploma engineers has a two-year duration during which they undergo one-year classroom study, 6 months of workshop, and 6 months of marine afloat training.
Workshop – Dedicated Facilities For Training Purposes
- Welding & Cutting
- Fitting Shop
- Machine Shop
- Marine Shop
- Automation and Control LAB
- Electrical Control LAB
- High Voltage LAB
- Camless Engine
- Engine Room Simulator
- Welding Simulator
- Simulated Marine Engineering Drawings
- Various Ship Maintenance and Management Systems
- Boiler simulator
Afloat training is provided on ships under construction or repairs at the yard of Goa Shipyard Ltd., and also on transshipped M.V. Royal Sesa, M.V. Vishal Hira, and the ships at Mormugao Harbour. Training on Transhippers is a unique feature of the training. The cadets travel by launch to the transhippers with all safety precautions.
Each trainee also boards 35/40 modern ships a year at training centers of Adani Mormugao Port Terminal Pvt Ltd, Jindal South West Port Ltd., and Mormugao Port Jetties.
In classroom training, the students are taught advanced Marine Engineering subjects. The syllabus for these subjects is developed by the Directorate General of Shipping, Govt. of India. The names of subjects are: English, Applied Mechanics, Thermodynamics and Heat Engine, Mathematics, Engineering Knowledge Motor, Engineering Knowledge General, Marine Engineering Practices, Ship Safety and Environmental Protection, Naval Architecture and Ship Construction, Electro-Technology, Management and Marine Engineering Drawing.
Hostel facilities for cadets include:
- Rooms (on a triple sharing basis) for studying and sleeping.
- Cadets mess for all meals (no meals are allowed to be taken in rooms).
- Recreation rooms for playing indoor games, gymnasium, T.V. and Internet station.
- Wi-Fi facility
- Grounds/ playing fields for outdoor games.
- Hostel warden is in charge of the hostel and is available round the clock.
- Liberty to go out is given only on Saturday evenings and Sundays. Night offs are permitted only once a month. Parents/ cadets are advised not to request night offs or additional liberty for any reason.
The placement record of IMS Goa has always been excellent.
Some of the Companies that have Visited the Institute-
- Campbell Shipping P. Ltd.
- V-Ships India Pvt. Ltd.
- ASP Ship Management (India) Pvt. Ltd.
- MSI Shipping Services (I) P. Ltd.
- Wilhelmsen Shipmanagement Ltd.
- Scorpio Marine Management India Pvt. Ltd.
- XT tankers
- TORM Shipping India Pte. Ltd
Since the last 3-4 years, there have been a few issues, COVID being one and the other being a low demand of companies for DME students. The reasons for this are, that there has been a bit of an underperformance by the DME students. Plus it is a 2-year course therefore the companies aren’t sure how well the DME students would perform after getting selected during the admission interviews. For this reason, there has been a constant decline in the the graph of the no. of students getting placed during the admission interviews.
No doubt later on, during or after the course, students get placed into good companies (mentioned in the blog ahead). But getting placed before you start the course always serves to be a cherry on the cake. Undoubtedly we can blame COVID, due to which companies didn’t visit the institute for placements very often in the recent past.
- Till 2016, the placement scenario was very good. Companies used to take almost 95% of the students at the admission interviews. V Ships, Campbell, Wilhelmsen, Valles steamship, ASP were such companies that visited and recruited cadets.
- During 2017, even Scorpio had visited the institute for the first time. Although there was a steep decline, 30% were still unplaced at the end of the course, who later on, got selected by MMSI, AZA SHIPPING, XT SHIPPING, WALLEM.
- In 2018 as well the situations were similar. Companies had come for the admission interviews.
- In 2019, there were no companies at the start. Many remained unplaced, also because most of their course went into online mode.
- In 2020, the situation was the same. Students remain unplaced.
- In 2021, TORM SHIPPING had come during the admission interviews.
- GOODWOOD SHIP MANAGEMENT, MARSHAL SHIPPING are the two companies which would be coming ahead in the future.
|Educational Qualification & Age Limit||Diploma in Mechanical/ Electrical/ Electrical & Electronics/ Naval Architecture.|
Diploma in Shipbuilding Engineering
|Maximum age:||28 years|
|Minimum Marks:||50% in final year|
|Marks In English:||Minimum 50% in X or XII or Diploma|
|Eye Sight:||6/6 or 6/12 in each eye or 6/18 in one eye and 6/9 in other eye without glasses WITH NO COLOUR BLINDNESS by Ishihara chart. Partial Colour Blindness is also not acceptable.|
|Body Mass Index(BMI):||<<25|
|Minimum Height:||1.58 m|
|Minimum Weight:||51 kg|
|No. of seats:||40|
|S.no.||Details – Diploma Entry Course||Timeline|
|1||Commencement of submission of application form||22nd February, 2022|
|1 (a)||Last date for receipt of applications||14th August|
|1 (b)||Issuance of admit card||25th July onwards|
|2||Online entrance exam. |
Online psychometric test.
|3||List of candidates selected for interview and |
briefing for interviews
|4||Interviews of the short listed candidates at the institute along with document verification.||12th, 13th, 14th September ( 9.00 am)|
|5||List of candidates short listed for medical test, measurement of uniforms and certificate verification (remaining candidates if any), fee payment of admission process, medical test fee, total INR 9,500/-.||15th September|
( 11.00 a.m.)
|6||Medical test of selected candidates||15th & 16th September|
|7||Data for registration of INDOS||15th & 16th September|
|8||Admission intimation for candidates||Intimation by issuance of Admission Letter after passing Medical Examination, Registering with DGS and obtaining INDOS No.|
|9||Last date of acceptance of admission and advance fee of INR 50,000/-||27th September|
|10||Last date for payment of first year fees (for Diploma)||22nd October|
|11||Course commencement at 09.00 a.m.||01st December 2022|
Read here for all the steps included in the selection procedure.
Additional Weightage for Final Selection:
- Passed X or XII or Diploma or Degree from Goa Board/ Technical Board /Goa University.
- More than 60% marks in XII/ Diploma.
- Work experience from 3 months onwards.
- Diploma candidates who completed XII science and/or have a Diploma in Shipbuilding Engineering.
Syllabus for Online Entrance Exam
Paper I – Aptitude and Engineering (1 hour) – Click here to download sample questions
Section A: Mechanical and Spatial Aptitude – 50 questions, multiple-choice, 50 marks, 30 minutes.
Section B: 50 questions, multiple-choice, 50 marks, 30 minutes
-Engineering Knowledge: Basic General Engineering Knowledge, Electricity, Heat Engines, Mechanics & Theory of Machines, Hydraulics, Electronics, Strength of Materials, Refrigeration & Air Conditioning.
-General Knowledge, English
Paper II – Psychometric Test (1 hour) – Click here to download sample questions
Following are some example questions that are asked in the interview-
- Diesel engines, and parts of diesel engine.
- Difference between Diesel and Petrol engines.
- 4-stroke and 2-stroke diesel engines.
- 2-stroke crosshead type diesel engines.
- How the ship steers?
- How the ship is reversed?
- Why foot valve is fitted in centrifugal pump?
- Why do we use a pressure cooker at home?
- Why does the air remain in car tyre after filling?
- How ceiling fans work?
- Why doesn’t the flush tank overflow?
- All the thermodynamics laws, and electrical laws.
- Questions on hydraulics.
- Refrigerator system, and AC system.
- Machinery onboard like Fresh water generator, diesel generator, incinerator, compressors, etc.
- Pumps, valves used onboard.
Non-technical questions can be–
- Why do you want to become a marine engineer?
- About you and your family background.
- Your work experience if any.
- Note: There will be an online session for the students who will get selected for interviews, before their interviews, which will include such discussion on questions and you will also get interview tips.
Just an example of the year 2022:
|Pay on or before|
17th September 2022
|Advance fees (Non-Refundable) (Tuition)||INR 50,000/-|
|BALANCE FEE – First Year|
Pay on or before
20th October 2022
|Tuition Fees||INR 2,20,000/-||INR 4,96,300/-|
|Hostel Charges||INR 1,57,300/-|
|Student Development Charges|
Uniform, Text Books Stationery, Safety Courses, TAR Books, Examinations, IME(I) Student Membership, Library, Personality Development, D.G. Shipping fees and Workshop Consumables etc.
|Caution Money Deposit( Refundable at the end of course) IME(I) permanent membership, Medical Insurance, Authentication of cert, damages etc.||INR 15,000/-|
|BALANCE FEE –Second Year|
Pay on or before
12th October 2023
|Tuition fees and Hostel Charges||INR 1,52,370/-||INR 1,87,800/-|
|Student Development Charges|
The current Director of IMS has been doing a great job despite the COVID situation, since 2020. Along with good management and constant communication with the students, there is always an active effort towards arranging classes with external faculties including captains, chief engineers, etc. The Director has been playing a critical role in managing contacts and relations with companies for the senior unplaced cadets to get placed.
Since the last two years there’s been a decline in the no. of companies coming for placements during the course. Rather more students are getting placed after the course. Also, most of the companies now require the DME cadets to first have their MEO Class 4 Part A examinations cleared. As it becomes troublesome for the companies to select the cadets at the start of the course and then wait for them for 2+ years for clearing Part A. Only a few companies select candidates before clearing their Part A. Therefore, as GME cadets are exempted from Part A, they get preferred.
A word of advice that the aspirants should keep in mind is that there is more demand for GME when compared to DME. While, it can be a little tough knowing these facts, it is important to think positively and let the situation get better. For this, the DME cadets should always try to show par excellence. The institute solely, cannot be blamed for fewer placements. But yes, the reality is disappointing, as a very few companies come to recruit DME cadets. Also getting a degree in engineering is good if you further want to go for GME in the future.
Time and time again IMS Goa has proven its excellence with the best placement record and the quality of training provided. The situation might get better, so have patience if you are willing to do DME because eventually after your course is completed, you will be placed.
Click on the link below for FAQs