2nd Mate Function Course
Table of contents
- 1. 2nd Mate Courses :-
- 2. 2nd Mate Function Course :-
- 3. Advanced STCW & Modular Courses
- 4. STCW EXIT EXAM
- 5. 2nd Mate Simulator Courses
- 6. Best Colleges for 2nd Mates Function Courses
- 7. Takeaways
- 8. Frequently Asked Questions
To be eligible for the 2nd Mate Examination, a merchant navy officer must complete various prerequisite courses. This blog will offer thorough information regarding the intricate details of all the diverse courses. After reading this, you will get a fair idea of the courses, duration, fees, eligibility, etc.
1. 2nd Mate Courses:-
The courses required for the 2nd Mate Examination can be grouped as follows:
- 2nd Mate Function Course
2. Advanced STCW & Modular Courses
3. Simulator-Based Courses
2. 2nd Mate Function Course:-
If you want to clear the 2nd Mate Exam but don’t have any idea about the procedure then you can check out our free 2nd Mate Series that will guide you throughout the journey.
|Roughly the course takes about 4 months to complete.
|The 2nd Mate Function course is aimed at providing a cadet with an adequate amount of training for him/her to be prepared to take the 2nd Mate Certificate of Competency Examination. The course is designed in a way that it meets the necessary STCW and IMO StandardsThe course is taught via physical classes. E-Learning must be completed on the DG Shipping E-Learning website at home during non-class hours.
|2nd Mate Function Course Fees
|₹20,000 – ₹40,000 (Varies from Institute to Institute)
This course applies only to DNS cadets who have completed the required sea time. BSc cadets are exempted from completing this course.
This is a preparatory course for the 2nd Mate COC Examination. The 2nd Mate Function Course Fees is usually on the higher side as it is a 4 Month Duration.
2.1:- 2nd Mate Foundation Course Eligibility:
Some of the basic eligibility details are given below:
- Seatime completion letter from the company(18 Months Minimum)
- SSTP Cadet Record Book
- Bridge Watchkeeping Certificate from Master
2.2:- 2nd Mate Foundation Course Syllabus:
Function 1: Navigation at Operational Level
- Terrestrial and Coastal Navigation
- Celestial Navigation
- Bridge Watchkeeping, Emergencies, and BRM
- Signals and Communications
Function 2: Cargo Handling and Stowage at Operational Level
- Cargo Handling and Stowage
- Inspect and Report defects and damages to cargo spaces, hatch cover, and Ballast Tank
Function 3: Controlling the Operation of the Ship and Care for Persons on Board at the Operational Level
- Ship Construction
- Ship safety and Environmental protection and monitor compliance with registrations
3. Advanced STCW & Modular Courses
These courses apply to both B.Sc and DNS Cadets.
- This Course is taught Via Physical classes
- This Course Includes All The Practicals also (Full 5 Yrs Validity Single Certificate will be issued as per DGS Latest Orders)
- Practicals are also included
As per D.G. Shipping Orders, This Course will be Completed in THREE Mandatory Steps:-
- You will get 3 Attempts to Clear the DGS Exit Exam ONLINE, failing which the course at (Step No.2) will have to be done again, by Rebooking.
The required courses and their details are given below:
3.1:- AFF(Advanced Fire Fighting):-
|FPFF course must have been completed., Sea time of at least 6 months., Medical fitness certificate & INDOS Number
|CDCMedical Fitness DeclarationFPFF REFRESHER STCW 2010 (If Applicable)Old FPFF CertificatePassportCDC – 6 months Sea time pages
|₹4894 Includes DGS Exit Exam Fees of ₹295
Note: Course Fees may vary. Choose an institute at per convenience
3.2:- MFA(Medical First Aid):-
|EFA Certificate, Sea time MIN 6 mths & INDOS, and Valid SID.
|PassportCDCEFA CertificateCDC – 6 months Sea time pages
|Course Fees+ DGS Exit Exam(1st Attempt Fees)2499+295=Rs 2794
3.3:- PSCRB (Proficiency in Survival Crafts and Rescue Boats):-
|PST CertificateSea time Min 6 months INDOS Number
|CDCPST CertificateMedical Fitness DeclarationPassportCDC with sailing
|Course Fees+ DGS Exit Exam(1st Attempt Fees)5999+295=Rs 6294
4. STCW EXIT EXAM
- The exit exam will be conducted at the examination hall of the MTI On Completion immediately after the completion of the course (same Day),
- Candidates will Have to appear for the 1st Attempt Exam without fail, if they DO NOT appear, they may not be allowed to appear Later, as per DGS Rule and a Certificate will not be issued.
4.1. STCW Exit Exam resources:-
Almost all of the questions asked in the Exit Exams are the questions that appear in the quiz sections of the E-Learning Courses.
Apart From that MCQs are available online. The Most Suitable sites and apps to prepare Exit Exam Questions are given below:
5. 2nd Mate Simulator Courses
As the name suggests, these courses are designed to provide real-time experiences of various shipboard equipments
The Simulator Systems need to be certified and should be built per the standards set by STCW
These Courses do not have an Exit Exam except for the GMDSS Course.
The 4 – Simulator-based courses that are required for the 2nd Mate COC Examination are given below:
|Candidates should have a Minimum of 12 Months of Seatime
|PassportCDCCDC sailing Pages (For 2nd Mates Function)
|Rs 5999 Note: Exit Exam does not apply to this Course
|Radar Observer Course (ROC) Certificate Candidates should have a Minimum of 12 Months of Seatime
|PassportCDCCDC sailing Pages (For 2nd Mates Function)ROC/ROSC Certificate
|Rs 3999 Note: Exit Exam does not apply to this Course
|Certificate of ROSC, ARPA
At least three months of sea service associated with bridge watch-keeping duties under the supervision of a qualified officer
COC, CDC, Passport, INDOS Number.
|PassportCDCROC / ROSC Certificate3 Months – Bridge watchkeeping certificate by Master (Master Sailing Exp Letter) – MinimumARPA
|Rs 7499 Note: Exit Exam does not apply to this Course
Special Attention should be given to the GMDSS. It consists of the following:
- 12-Day Course
- 3-4 days of Exam conducted by the Ministry of Communications
|CLASS 12th Pass Certificate with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics Passport Valid SID.
|PassportCLASS 12 CERTIFICATECLASS 10TH CERTIFICATECDC Sailing Page(For GMDSS)
|12 Days + 3-4 days Exam
Note: All of the above-mentioned details may vary from Institute to Institute. Visit respective websites to gather full knowledge
6. Best Colleges for 2nd Mates Function Courses
- Many courses are on the list of DG-approved institutes given below that you can check out.
- Special Attention should be given to the GMDSS Course and should be done from a well-reputed institute only.
- Other Courses can be done from the cheapest options available.
- Here is a List of Institutes to look for:
- To become eligible for the 2nd Mate COC Examination (written+orals), a cadet needs to complete 7 different Advanced Modular and Simulator-Based Courses.
- These courses can be done at various DG-approved MTIs across India based on personal choice. We suggest you choose the cheapest of all and choose a quality Institute. Quality is Priority
- After Reading this Blog, You should have an Idea of all the important factors concerning the various courses
- Proper Planning and Execution are required to finish these courses promptly so that your path to obtaining the 2nd Mate COC becomes easier
8. Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. How long does it take to complete all the 2nd Mate courses and Exams?
Ans. All courses, exit exams, and the COC Exam would take about 8-10 months to complete if everything is completed in the first attempt
Q2. Are 2nd Mate courses online or offline?
Ans. 2nd Mate Courses are a combination of both. Physical classes as well as online E-learning should be done
Q3. What is the Eligibility Criteria for 2nd Mate Functional Courses?
Ans. Different courses have different eligibility criteria which can be found on the website of the institutes.
Q4. Does 2nd Mate courses include Practical Training?
Ans. Yes, practical training is an integral part of various functional courses.
Q5. Are 2nd Mate courses challenging?
Ans. 2nd Mate functional courses are complicated and extensive but not difficult. Proper study regime and hard work make it easier to pass various exams. The Most extensive course is the GMDSS Course.