Last updated on July 25th, 2023 at 10:08 am
Table of contents
- What is the Directorate General of Shipping?
- What is e-learning (DG shipping)?
- How to Login for e-learning course
- Difference between MODULAR COURSES and COMPETENCY COURSES
- What is Exit Exam?
- List of some Modular courses and Competency courses
- What is SID (DG Shipping)?
- What is e-Governance?
- What is INDoS Checker/CDC Checker?
- INDoS Number: Benefits? How to Apply? Documents Required?Click on this link:
What is the Directorate General of Shipping?
The Directorate General of India is involved in the implementation of shipping policies and legislation to ensure prevention of marine pollution at sea, marine pollution, promotion of maritime education, development of international maritime organisation and seafarers, development of coastal authorities and certification and certification of operational authorities, development of coastal authorities, dictionary.
Refer to this for dg shipping approved institutes and how to find dg shipping approved colleges?
What Does DGS Do?
- Issuing licence to Seafarers such as:
- Continuous Discharge Certificate(CDC)
- Seafarers Identification Document(SID)
- Certificate of Competency(COC)
- Issuing certificates to Seafarers such as:
- Standard of Training and Certification of watch keeping(STCW)
- Dangerous cargo enforcement certificate(DCE)
- Inspecting Ships (Port state Control Inspection/ Flag ship Control Inspection)
- Protecting the rights and welfare of Indian Seafarers, this include the following standards:
- Minimum age
- Medical qualification
- Qualification of seafarers
- Seafarers employment agreement
- Use of licensed recruitment and placement service
- Hours of work or rest
- Manning levels for the ship
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CLICK ON THE LINK
What is e-learning (DG shipping)?
- DG Shipping introduces e-learning to seafarers to access courses and resources conveniently from their devices , refer to this link https://www.dgshipping.gov.in/Content/E-LEARNING.aspx (DG SHIPPING E LEARNING LINK)
- Whether you’re a Deck Officer or an Engineer their are courses for you:
- Modular courses
- Competency Courses
E-learning enhances competency exam preparation and offers modular courses.
How to Login for e-learning course
Here are the steps to access the e-learning platform on the DG Shipping website:
- Visit the DG Shipping website (https://www.dgshipping.gov.in/).
- Click on the “E-Learning” section.
- Select the desired modular course from the available options.
- Click on “Enrol Now” for the chosen e-learning STCW module course.
- Provide the necessary details, including your INDos number, date of birth, and course name.
- Verify your name and other details before submitting the enrollment.
- Upon successful enrollment, you will receive a login username and password.
- Go back to the previous page and Login.
- Fill in the provided username and password in the respective fields.
- Follow the instructions to activate your webcam for picture verification.
- Start the course, and engage in the e-learning modules.
- Upon completion of the course, there will be an option to exit the course.
- After completion, you will receive a digital certificate as proof of course completion.
DG Shipping’s Latest Guidelines for Joining the Merchant Navy:
Difference between MODULAR COURSES and COMPETENCY COURSES
|Aspect||Modular Courses||Competency Courses|
|Purpose||Specific training on particular topics/skills||Building competence for specific job roles|
|Content||Focus on a single aspect of maritime operations||Comprehensive coverage of various subjects|
|Duration/Study Hours||Varies (typically 6 to 32 hours)||More extensive (typically 10 to 44 hours)|
|Pass Mark||Minimum pass mark (60% to 70%)||Minimum pass mark (60% to 70%)|
|Target Audience||All seafarers regardless of rank or experience||Officers and crew members for specific roles|
What is Exit Exam?
DG Shipping offers courses such as modular courses and competency courses, These courses are essential for maritime professionals, covering various topics required for safe and efficient operations at sea. They serve as a standard qualification for seafarers and include training in areas such as firefighting, survival at sea, first aid, and more.
Successful completion of these courses is mandatory for giving an exit exam which will be a vital step in ensuring the competence and safety of seafarers in the maritime industry.
List of some Modular courses and Competency courses
|Course Name||Course ID||Minimum e-Learning Study Hours||Minimum Pass Mark|
|Vertical Integration Course for Trainers (VICT)||1061||18||70%|
|Assessment, Examination and Certification of Seafarers (AECS)||1062||28||70%|
|Passenger Ship Familiarisation Course (PSFC)||5211||10||60%|
|Passenger Ship Safety Course (PSSC)||5212||20||60%|
|Company Security Officer (CSO)||6512||12||60%|
|Port Facility Security Officer (PFSO)||6513||12||60%|
|Bridging Course EO to ETO (BETO)||3611||44||70%|
|Basic Training for Ships Using Fuels Covered Within the IGF (IGFB)||5311||14||70%|
|Advanced Training for Ships Using Fuels Covered Within the IGF (IGFA)||5312||16||70%|
|Course Name||Course ID||Minimum e-Learning Study Hours||Minimum Pass Mark|
|Advanced Training for Liquefied Gas Tanker Cargo Operations (GASCO)||5122||31||70%|
|Medical Care (MC)||6421||28||70%|
|Advanced Fire Fighting (AFF)||6311||15||60%|
|Medical First Aid (MFA)||6411||15||60%|
|Ship Security Officer (SSO)||6511||12||60%|
|Proficiency in Fast Rescue Boats (PFRB)||6221||6||60%|
For more information refer to this link https://dgsstcw.aduacademy.in/#astcwc
What is SID (DG Shipping)?
The Seafarers Identity Document (SID) is an official identification document issued to seafarers to serve as proof of their identity and professional qualifications. It is an internationally recognized document that enables seafarers to travel and work on ships worldwide.
|Steps for Online SID Application|
|Before proceeding, you must familiarise yourself with the general instructions and collect the necessary documents. Click here https://dgshippingbsid.in/Instructions.jsp|
|Login to the SID portal with your INDOS number and the password on this website https://dgshippingbsid.in/|
|Click on the Link “Apply for SID”|
|Verify the personal information in the form and click to continue.|
|Fill the address details and click continue|
|Fill other details and click continue|
|Make payment through e-payment portal|
|Submit the application|
|Click on “Schedule Appointment” on the screen to schedule an appointment.|
|Select a collection centre and date and time from the available locations.|
What is e-Governance?
E governance protect the right of Indian Seafarers and security, e-Governance Initiatives by DG Shipping (Directorate General of Shipping) allow user to access these:
- INDoS online
- Anti piracy escort
- Seafarers Registration
- e-Governance related information to all Seafarer/Stakeholders
- Online Competency Written Examination
- INDoS Registration for Indian Navy
|INDoS online checker||Online registration for Indian seafarers, keeping track of their qualifications and employment history, ensuring their rights are protected and they meet required standards.|
|Anti-piracy escort||Security support for vessels in piracy-prone regions, protecting Indian seafarers and ensuring their safety during voyages.|
|Seafarers Registration||Registration of seafarers with DG Shipping, maintaining records of qualifications and certifications, promoting safety and compliance with regulations.|
|Online Competency Written Examination/ Exit exam||Conducting competency exams online for seafarers seeking certifications, ensuring their skills and knowledge meet required standards, contributing to professional growth and industry safety.|
|INDoS Registration for Indian Navy||Extending INDoS registration to Indian Navy personnel, managing their qualifications and certifications, enhancing efficiency and security in naval maritime operations.|
What is INDoS Checker/CDC Checker?
The website of the Directorate General of Shipping contains vital tools and resources for marine professionals, such as the Indos and CDC Checker.
An individual identification number known as the Indian National Database of Seafarers (INDoS) is given to seafarers in India to ensure that their identity and credentials are confirmed and documented.
Click on this link to verify your INDoS number on DG Shipping website http://220.127.116.11/esamudraUI/jsp/examination/checker/PP_IndosChecker.jsp
Seafarers can verify the validity of their CDC, a crucial document that proves their eligibility to work on ships, using the CDC (Continuous Discharge Certificate) Checker. These technologies are essential in fostering transparency and upholding the integrity of the marine sector, protecting both the rights of seafarers and maritime security.
Click on this link to verify your CDC on DG Shipping website
The Indos and CDC Checker are excellent examples of the Directorate General of Shipping’s dedication to professionalism and efficiency in serving the nautical community, thanks to their user-friendly interfaces and streamlined procedures.